Pets

I am sad to report that Yentl, my pet royal python, has escaped. There’s a little ‘ole in the back of his tank that I thought he couldn’t wriggle through. I was wrong. He’ll probably turn up somewhere, when he is hungry, as here.
IMG_6150
Our other pets are all accounted for. In the past year or so I have accreted one that sticks by me all the time. He’s a big, black dog, and my constant companion. Sometimes he’s right at my heel. Sometimes he’s roaming far away, but he’s always in sight. At the moment he seems to be at a respectful distance. I expect some of you might even have met him. On the whole I’d be happier to get my pet python back.
mental healthribbon

UPDATE: Yentl the Python has been found! Kudos to Mrs Crox for finding him in a corner of the study trying to asphyxiate some gas pipes. The errant serpent was rather cold Рhe is now back in his tank with a heat mat and infra-red lamp.

This entry was posted in Apparitions, Domesticrox and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Pets

1. chall says:

Considering it’s the cold season Yentl is probably going to cuddle up to a hot place and sleep… Hope you find him soon.

As for the black dog, I hope he keeps his distance. Stupid pets. (I thought I lost mine, alas that’s a dream that won’t happen…. just need to have pet control for a longer time)

Thanks Chall – meanwhile, Yentl has been found! (See UPDATE).

3. I’m glad you found Yentl. It’s ever so cold outside.

4. I once had a python – 5 feet he was – he escaped and curled up around our hotwater heater – much to my roomates terror – and poor thing died on that hotwater heater – it went off he was too damn slow to move – on the plus side he is now a member of the comparative herpotology teaching lab at the University of Tennessee – for many years now. glad you found Yentl

Yentl is a petite python, for a reason. When our corn snake Syd graduated from her 3′ tank to a 4′ tank (she’s now almost 6′ long at full stretch), we didn’t want to get rid of the old tank. And I wanted a python in my home office. Royal pythons are quite small – no more than around 3′ or so full grown – and males are smaller than females. So Yentl arrived. He’s only 2′ long or so, and probably won’t get much bigger.

I don’t think I could have a very big snake. First of all we don’t have the space for a suitable tank… and if it escaped you’d start to keep count, obsessively, of cats, small dogs, other peoples’ children …

5. other people’s children, heh – my snake was a *gift* of sorts – was a friend of mines who moved out of town and left it on my porch as I had an attachment to playing with it – I was 20 I should have given it to a more suitable menagerie !

6. John the Plumber says:

I was once asked could a 4′ foot python have escaped up the chimney through a central heating boiler behind a fire. I said, no, because of the flue liner and the cowl on the top – on the other hand, it could go up between the liner and the chimney wall – then through a hole in poor brick work in the stack – and so perhaps into the loft. I suggested the houseowner have a look up there. He said it was not worth bothering as the smake had gone missing a few years before. He also said that in this very old terraced block, all the attics were joined from one end to the other. He said he was moving house the following week and had only asked out of curiosity. – That was the end of the story really.
    Later, I learned a bit about pythons. – Is it right that they need only a little food, like Yentl’s mouse (at least we can’t confuse that with a horse) or the odd small bird, at quite long intervals measured in months – and of course water and warmth. – It occured to me that if the python had found its way into the extensive loft, then nice and warm, tucked under the loft insulation, it could do very nicely, poking its head out now and again under the eaves to the gutter for water and perhaps snatching the odd unsuspecting sparrow – and of course, in old terraces like this one, there are usually birds nesting in the roof.
    It was quite a few years ago, but I often wonder, driving past the block of houses, is there is now a 10ft python up in a corner of the roof space quietly minding its own business.
    I patiently wait for the headlines in the local press.

Snakes can go for weeks without food. When hungry they start breaking down their own digestive systems to survive. They do need warmth, though, and water. When our corn snake Syd reappeared after an absence of three weeks, she made a beeline for her water bowl and slurped greedily.

• John the Plumber says:

I’m worried – you’re obviously good at losing snakes. – Please don’t keep alligators.

Don’t worry – we have a 100% record at finding them again. Or maybe they find us.