I still don’t get blogging

The next few days – until 2 January – I will have my first few real days off in a long, long time. Considering we moved from Colorado to Germany this year, I started a new job, we all started a new life, and I only saw my husband for 4 months total in 2008 – meaning that I was basically a single mom throughout most of all this – that’s really pretty necessary.

So this is the perfect opportunity (and this makes sense for people who know me) to challenge myself by saying that I’ll post one blog entry every day for the next week. This may not sound like a challenge to all of you real bloggers, but it is: the thing is, I realized that I still don’t really get blogging. My biggest hold-up is that I want all of my posts to be interesting, well-written, thought out, researched, etc. This is appropriate in most cases, considering that my blog is primarily about other people and I’d like to portray them and what they do as well as I can.

However, it is also in the way of creating some primarily entertaining posts. Or more generally: it just gets in the way of writing. Two posts in particular have made me think about this in the last few days, one from Bora and one from Isis the Scientist. The posts were both prompted by the same annoying thing (I won’t go into detail), and there’s a lot of other excellent stuff in Bora’s, but to me – right now – they boil down to this:

WRITE IF YOU CAN!!

So I’ll give it a go.

This post was first published on Nature Network, which has since been discontinued. The post has been moved to SciLogs, where you can also read the comments made at the time.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to I still don’t get blogging

1. Katherine Haxton says:

Good luck! Posting each day is exhausting, especially over the festive season. I look forward to reading!

Thanks Katherine! That’s the experiment exactly: will I be able to post something I haven’t looked at ten times? 😉

3. Bob O'Hara says:

Good luck, and remember that if you’re desperate you can always post photos of cute animals.

Thanks Bob. How about cartoons? Are they ok too?

5. Bob O'Hara says:

Yep, fine. As long as they’re funny. Viktor has done OK doing that.

6. Stephen Curry says:

Steffi – I’m curious to know what spoke to you in Bora’s post. I read it and, while it makes some interesting point about the contrast between mainstream science journalism and science blogging, I thought it was a bit over-cooked…

7. Eva Amsen says:

Not to spoil your plans, but some of my favourite blogs have very few updates. I know all the big popular ones post multiple times a day, but that does not necessarily make them interesting reads. It’s different for everyone.
    But I have lots of time to read over the holidays, so go ahead and blog away =)

Stephen, I think it was mostly the intensity with which Bora was writing. You are right, he could probably have made his point with a post half as long (or less).
    Eva, I know – to stick with the example, I like about every fifth(?) post or so from Isis and could do without a lot of the stuff in between (I’m not so keen on the shoes, but hey – if it works for her..). My reason for doing this is that I really want to see what my output could be, and whether it would be any good at that pace.
    Having said that, I have no idea yet what I’m going to write today – and we still have a tree to decorate, presents to wrap, dinner to cook, and all that jazz…

9. Mike Fowler says:

Jazz for dinner? Sounds musicifally descrumptious!
    Remember, as in the rest of science (and beer drinking), quality is much more important than quantity.
    I’m off for a delicious Deuchars IPA. Or more. Good luck with the high density posting.

It was excellent. We had home-made ravioli – my mother, husband, and son had the ravioli-making covered, all I could do was make the salad..
    Hope your dinner was equally enjoyable!

11. Kristi Vogel says:

but some of my favourite blogs have very few updates
    Absolutely. Some of the more prolific bloggers become very repetitive in their posts (and boring, as a consequence), and redundant within a “stable” of bloggers. The posts I enjoy the most are the ones written by bloggers who have unique perspectives, and whose topics overlap at least somewhat with my own interests. In general, I find the posts that blend personal and scientific/historical perspectives to be the most entertaining.