Transient shapes

I am now thoroughly bored with the bronchitis and fever I’ve been battling since Christmas Eve. So I thought I’ll post some photos instead of just sitting here coughing…

These are slides my husband took along the Western Antarctic Peninsula in the nineties and which he just scanned in with his new slide scanner that he got for Christmas. It’s interesting how different the colours look compared to digital images.

Starfighter

UFO

I like these photos because the shapes of these two bergs are pretty outrageous – to me, they look like frozen spacecrafts, now long departed from earth melted away.

This entry was posted in Antarctic stuff, Photos. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Transient shapes

1. Fantastic photos and choice for the season, for those of us in the Northern Hemisphere. I hope you can rest up and give your immune system a chance to prevail. Much sympathy until then.

Thank you, Heather! I’m working hard on the resting, assisted by some forceful encouragement from my husband..

Get well soon Steffi – we are all thinking of you!

4. Cath@VWXYNot? says:

Wow, gorgeous photos! Antarctica is definitely on my dream destinations list, up there with the Galapagos and the Masai Mara…

5. Cath@VWXYNot? says:

p.s. I have identified the “unidentified” flying object. It is clearly the USS Enterprise NCC-1701-D.

(Yes, I had to look up the serial number. Don’t worry, I’m not that much of a geek)

6. Linda says:

hehe, they do look like outrageous space crafts, left behind & frozen. Maybe they were responsible for crop circles.

7. chall says:

Wow. those are gorgeous!

I wonder about one thing though… you state; “It’s interesting how different the colours look compared to digital images.” Are you referring to similar photos taken at the same time or in general that these ones look more ‘dense’/higher contrast or what ever I should name it?!

(trying to get back into photography and printed some of my photos and realised that computer screen /=/ other computer screen /=/ print. I wonder what it would’ve been as slides as we used when I grew up…. πŸ˜‰ )

Hi chall! What I meant was that the images look at the same time “warmer” and less “professional” to me than today’s digital photography, if that makes any sense?

• chall says:

Steffi: good to see I’m not the only one having some problems trying to explain what I mean πŸ˜‰ I think I understand what you mean. I personally love the dark blue colour that comes through so great in these photos. And the spacecrafts of course!