Science in the city

Following on from my Parks theme yesterday, I had a lovely stroll in the park today. I think it just about qualifies as a park, but it’s a long thin one, based around a small stream.

Jesmond Dene is just to the edge of the city. Which city? Well, this is its cathedral:

The city has a nice line in public scupture:

and

It has a famous old Literary and Scientific Institution (forgot to take a photo) and a good few scientific and technical figures such as these two:

You might see a clue to its sister city across the water in this photo of the famous art gallery:

shown here again with some more icons of the city:

That bridge in the background should be the clincher. See it again here:

Hmm, I was going to ask you to guess where I was but after checking the post in preview I realise I have given the game away completely in one of the photos and I don’t have time to re-edit. I’ll have to be more devious next time.

About Frank Norman

I am a librarian in a biomedical research institute. I've been around a few years, long enough to know that exciting new things fall into the same familiar patterns. I'm interested in navigating a path for libraries as we move further from print to electronic resources to open research, and become more embedded in research workflows.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Science in the city

1. Trisha Saha says:

Stunning photos, Frank! Newcastle is beautiful. I’d love to visit England sometime!

2. Cath Ennis says:

…and now I’m homesick.
    I love, love, love Newcastle. I was born a Geordie but raised in Yorkshire, then moved back to do my undergrad at Newcastle Uni. I miss the city and the people.

3. Frank Norman says:

Thanks Trisha! Actually I think most cities can look stunning when the sun is shining, but Newcastle does have the advantage of a great river and majestic bridges. And a very strong sense of itself and its place.

4. Barry Hudson says:

Frank – great pictures of my home city! Makes me misty eyed just seeing them!
    I have some great photos myself of Newcastle, I should upload somewhere.
    @Cath – you’re a Geordie too? I spend my undergrad years in Yorkshire

5. Cath Ennis says:

I was born in Ashington and lived in Ellington until I was 5. So technically I’m a Northumbrian, not a Geordie, but most people don’t appreciate the difference 😉

6. Barry Hudson says:

Angel of the North:

The Bridges:

7. Heather Etchevers says:

As a complete foreigner, I’d add my kudos for Newcastle’s transformation into an attractive place (apparently it was not always thus). I’ve been to work at the oddly-named-from-a-U.S.-point-of-view Centre for Life on two occasions for a few days and have found both colleagues and their city very pleasant.

Beautiful pictures, Frank (and Barry!). I may have to post some of my new hometown now 🙂

9. Barry Hudson says:

@Heather – Newcastle really got itself together over the last 10 years. A complete transformation. I was really disappointed when the European city of culture went to Liverpool.