Occam’s Typewriter is a community project to bring together current and erstwhile scientists who like to write. We have all been blogging at various places over the years, independently and on networks. But we felt that the time was right to create an independent network, so we could all have editorial freedom yet also have the benefits of a community of bloggers.
We all have different styles, and we all like to write about non-sciencey things, as well as the scientific life. Some like to write about papers and research; others would rather take a more anthropocentric view. And some combine all of this, or would rather talk about their hobbies and their cats. It’s a real mix: what unites us is that we all are or have been practising scientists, and we can’t help but write.
Here are some details about Occam’s Typewriter:
- We’re ad-free. In fact, we all contribute towards hosting out of our own pockets.
- We’re all editorially independent. Nobody tells us what we can or cannot write.
- All material is posted under the copyright of the respective authors, unless an author says otherwise. In other words, all content under this domain is freely available to do what you like with, as long as you credit the author.
- It follows that the authors take responsibility for their content. Nobody else screens or edits or otherwise meddles with what our authors publish. Therefore, if you have a problem with something published by one of Occam’s Typewriter authors, you take it up with them directly.
- Similarly, responsibility for the content of comments is with the writer of the comment.
- Our community guidelines are short and to the point.
The main page of OT (http://occamstypewriter.org/) is an aggregated list of the latest posts from all blogs on the network. Our current membership consists of
- Confessions by Richard P. Grant
- Mind the Gap by Jenny Rohn
- Reciprocal Space by Stephen Curry
- The End of the Pier Show by Cromercrox
- Blogging the PhD by Erika Cule
- Athene Donald’s Blog by Athene Donald
- Not ranting – honestly by Austin Elliott
- VWXYNot? by Cath Ennis
- Blogging the PhD by Frank Norman
- City Limits by KristiV
- No Comment by Steve Caplan
- Science behind the Scenes by Steffi Suhr
- Girl, Interrupting by Sylvia McLain
- Adventures in Wonderland by Richard Wintle
There’s also a guest blog, where we invite people to write occasionally, or trial before starting their own blog here: The Occam’s Typewriter Irregulars.
If you think you’d like to join us at Occam’s Typewriter, drop a line to users ‘at’ occamstypewriter.org.
Occam’s Typewriter was conceived and implemented by Richard P. Grant, with helpful input from the Special Operations Executive—you know who you are. Thanks to Jenny Rohn for hosting and design ideas, and to Tony Osbourn for behind-the-scenes PHP wrangling.