Is this a post?

Today is a special day on Occams Typewriter. One year ago the site burst onto the blogosphere.

I had an idea to write a witty history of Occams Typewriter in the form of a Christmas carol, but I didn’t have enough wit. I couldn’t get past the first line:

O little town of Nature Ne-etwork, how still we see thy blogs.

So I scrapped that idea.

Then I thought of just writing a straight brief history. But I didn’t get much further:

We were a group of people thrown together by chance, a common interest in writing around science and a shared approach to discourse.

So I scrapped that idea.

Then I tried the last resort of the tired blogger – put up a word cloud from all my posts over the past 12 months, pretending that no-one’s ever thought of it before.

But that doesn’t seem to capture what I have been thinking about in the past 12 months. I thought the word cloud would have a stronger showing from ebooks, open access, journal publishing, and a few other things. I think the reason it doesn’t is because I haven’t been writing about everything I have been thinking about in the past 12 months.

So I gave up on that idea too.

There was a danger that this post would join that long list of half-finished posts – partly-realised ideas for posts that I never get round to polishing up enough to publish. But it’s not everyday that you can mark the anniversary of a blog platform so I really have to write something.

THe best I can do is to to express my gratitude to Occams Typewriter – to Richard for having the vision and setting it up, and to all the OT regulars and irregulars for making it what it is now.

About Frank Norman

I am a librarian in a biomedical research institute. I've been around a few years, long enough to know that exciting new things fall into the same familiar patterns. I'm interested in navigating a path for libraries as we move further from print to electronic resources to open research, and become more embedded in research workflows.
This entry was posted in Blogology. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Is this a post?

1. As I understand my philosophy of obscure apocryphal academic jokes, the correct Oxbridge-approved answer to the question posed in your title:

“Is this a post?”

is:

“Yes, if this is a comment”

2. Grant says:

Once, fairly early in my blogging days, I got so frustrated at nothing I started out writing on panning out—to my satisfaction anyway—for my then daily posts, that I struck on the idea of writing about the things I didn’t write about – and told my readers so.

Oddly that post didn’t get many readers. Hmm.

Thing is, I know how you feel. This from a guy who, nominally, has 99 posts in ‘draft’ – mostly abandoned.

I wonder why research is counted twice, once horizontally and once vertically? 🙂

• I empathize strongly with “99 posts in ‘draft’ – mostly abandoned”….

• Frank says:

Grant – I think that is a good idea – writing short pieces on topics rather than closely-reasoned dissertations. I have found that sometimes those pieces seem to work better, in terms of audience response, than my longer pieces. But I get more satisfaction from the longer pieces, and that’s all that counts really!

I think the wordle program has not recognised the equivalence of upper and lower case, so “research” is different from “Research”. I did do a bit of tidying up, but missed that one.

3. Stephen says:

So, who is Fletcher Harington? 😉

• Frank says:

I think he probably played cricket for Middlesex in the 1940s. He was famous for his partnership with Charles Walter Morley 😉

4. Cath@VWXYNot? says:

O little town of Nature Ne-etwork, how still we see thy blogs.

I’m almost tempted to keep that going… I’ll give it some thought 🙂

Thanks for all your posts this year, Frank – in stark opposition to my own output, you are the master of quality over quantity!

5. Above thy deep and dreamless spam…

(can’t think of a good way to end that line and still rhyme with “blogs”. “Bogs”? Surely we can work some toilet humor into it.)

• Frank says:

Haha, love it.

Is ‘enfogs’ a word? I checked an online rhyming dictionary and found:

dogs
      clogs
      frogs
      hogs
      jogs
      togs

I think ‘clogs’ might have some mileage in relation to spam, but it’s tricky to get it at the end of the line.

6. Cath@VWXYNot? says:

no more pho-o-tos of dogs?

7. ricardipus says:

I used to frequent an online forum where one well-liked and frequent contributor constantly mis-typed the word “post” as “psot”. Maybe this is one of those?

/uselesscommentmode

• Frank says:

Yes, that is a word I am familiar with too. 😉 These days error correction software has mostly eliminated these simple errors from my typing. But predictive text on phones and ipads have taken mis-typing to a whole new level.

8. rpg says:

It’s been an honor to have you, Frank.

, recently. Not waiting for the bus to the station.