It’s the most wonderful time of the year!
Explanation for new readers: every Friday, more or less, I choose my favourite comments from this blog (and my favourite posts I’ve read on other blogs), and list them in the sidebar under the title Bragging Rights Central. In mid-December I go through the archives, tally the wins (Chall had the most “best comment” wins of 2010, and Occam’s Typewriter’s own Cromercrox had the most “best post” wins), pick my 12 favourite comments of the year, and let my readers vote for the winner.
This is no easy task – I’m lucky enough to have some amazingly funny and insightful commenters, and it’s sometimes hard enough to choose the best comments of the week, let alone the whole year! (In fact this year I cheated a bit and have 13 comments on the final list, because two people independently left very similar comments on the same post. I couldn’t pick one but not the other, and they’re so similar that putting both up to compete against each other in the final vote made no sense).
This year’s 12 choices are below, and you can click through to the original posts to read the comments in context. You may notice a strong sport theme, for which again, any new readers may require an explanation: I live in Vancouver, and had basically the most fun month of my life this year when the Winter Olympics came to town, and I also ran an Olympics pool, a world cup pool, and two NHL hockey pools. Plus sport tends to bring out some of the best comments in general.
- Please vote using the poll ONLY (link at the end of this post). Any votes cast in the comments on this post, on Twitter, Facebook, other people’s blogs, or by carrier pigeon WILL NOT COUNT.
- Please vote only once each
- Please do not vote for your own comment!
- Voting closes at midnight (Vancouver time) on December 31st
- In the event of a tie, I will choose my favourite of the tied comments (I won’t vote otherwise)
- The winner will be formally announced as soon as the NYE hangover clears
- Prize: ultimate 2010 bragging rights AND a CAD40 Amazon gift certificate (if the two-almost-identical comments win, the prize will be split equally between the two commenters)
(It should perhaps be noted that Massimo, last year’s winner, decided to forgo his monetary prize if I agreed to buy him some beer when we eventually manage to meet up. So, you know, the winner can negotiate what they deem to be a better prize, if they so wish)
And, without any further ado, listed in alphabetical order by commenter’s name, the candidates are:
- Alyssa for “Dream DH is a much bigger jerk than in real life – with the cheating and leaving and what-have-you. Real DH wants to kick Dream DH’s ass.”
AND Antipodean for “MrsAntipodeans dream me is a right bastard. Some days I wanna give him an uppercut”
- Antipodean for “The whole of Canada is now drunk.”
- Beth for “I once caused a Canuck playoff loss because of a cursed chocolate bar. I got it during one game and we lost. Then we were losing the next game and it hit me that clearly it was the unfinished chocolate bar’s fault and so I forced myself to devour the remainder of the bar and the Canucks then won the game. Which is scientific proof of my theory of the cursed chocolate bar.”
- Bob O’Hara for “I heard that the pro-prorogue counter-rally was canceled because of the Olympics. Some people were unhappy at this, and are arranging an anti-prorogue pro-prorogue rally.”
- EcoGeoFemme for “My friend’s husband went along with her to a meeting once. He went to the poster session and pretended he was an ecologist. I guess he had picked up enough from my friend that he was pretty convincing, even though he said he was in a somewhat different subfield from her. For some reason, this irritated me more than it made me laugh.”
- Eva for “My dad’s never funny. This past week he sent me five pictures of two cat litter boxes from different angles, and still managed to not make that funny at all.”
- Nina for “If Google tells you differently, I do not agree. I could argue the whole night if you wish”.
- Professor in Training for “I only recently saw a picture of poutine – it looks like it could very well be my favourite food of all time as it contains all of my favourite ingredients that aren’t Doritos.”
- Ricardipus for “Woo. Your Canucks beat the Leafs. I wouldn’t crow too much about that – you, me, and those monkeys I keep seeing in your sidebar could probably beat the Leafs.” (NB the monkey thing refers to my old blog, which has a sidebar widget that rotates between all the photos I’ve ever posted. I used to write a lot of posts about primates).
- RPS77 for “A term like “Famous Scottish tree hybridiser” is a good reminder that fame can be relative to a particular field.”
- RPS77 for “Just think – until the development of the internet, bathroom graffiti was almost the only way for strangers who never saw each other to exchange random insults.”
- ScientistMother for “WHAT!!!!! You have readers that don’t care about winter sports? AND you want them BACK????? Why?”
13 great comments – I’m so glad I don’t have to choose! (Please let there not be a tie…. Please let there not be a tie…)
Vote by the rules, please! Off you go!
Click here to vote (sorry, I couldn’t get it to embed)