Waiting for my congratulatory telegram from the Queen

I realised recently that I’ve:

• lived in our current house for five years, which is longer than I’ve lived anywhere since I left my parents’ house (previous record: two years and two months in a shared flat in Glasgow during my PhD);
  • been in my current job for almost four years, which is longer than I’ve had any other job (previous record: three years and four months as a postdoc in a different department in the same building);
  • been with Mr E Man for over eight years, which is longer than any of my other romantic relationships (previous record: two and a half years, but that was an outlier).

Am I… a grownup, now, then?

Huh.

About Cath@VWXYNot?

"one of the sillier science bloggers [...] I thought I should give a warning to the more staid members of the community." - Bob O'Hara, December 2010
This entry was posted in career, personal, silliness. Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Waiting for my congratulatory telegram from the Queen

1. yep you’re officially a grown up!

2. bean-mom says:

Hmmmm… I’m afraid you might be.

The pleasures of stability should not be underestimated (I’m enjoying it myself).

3. SB says:

I’m moving in with my bf in a few days and going to my first ever scientific conference in a few months! So I feel very grown-up :). Now if only there was a way to convince my parents…

I have yet to live in a house/apartment for that long, but I still beat your job record (keep it up just a little bit longer and you’ll pass me, though).

You are a grownup if and ONLY if you have a bradawl and know how to use it AND/OR you buy T-shirts with nothing printed on them.

6. I think, whatever the defining property/properties – and apart from stable relationship/job/house, there are the other obvious ones like having kids, or losing one’s parents – you are only a grownup if you WANT to be one.

Personally I’ve decided not to.

7. Nina says:

Not until your grandchildren start university degrees Cath. Only then are you truly grown up …

8. ecogeofemme says:

I love the title of this post. Is it common in commonwealth countries? (although EGM has never heard it).

I also LOVE being a grown up. I decided I was one when I finished undergrad. Freedom to make your own decisions is the best!

Grateful I live in a place where I can say that. 🙂

9. Silver Fox says:

Do you feel the heavy weight of responsibility on your shoulders all the time? If not, then – no. Not a grownup.

10. ScientistMother: I suspected as much!

Bean-Mom, oh, yeah, I’m not knocking it. It’s delightful!

SB, congrats on the moving in together!

Yeah, my parents still think I’m 15.

Steffi, I really, really don’t miss moving apartments every couple of years, and countries every three or four years!

CromerCrox, I don’t even know what a bradawl is, but I’m sure Mr E Man has at least one and knows how to use it. I’ve been buying t-shirts with nothing printed on them for years, though!

Austin, good for you! Growing old is compulsory but growing up is optional, right?

Nina, in that case I will never be a grownup! Yay!

Eco, when you turn 100 in the UK you’re supposed to get a telegram from the monarch, but I don’t know anyone who’s made it to 100 so I can’t verify that! I’ve never heard anyone mention it in Canada though, so I don’t think it’s Commonwealth-wide.

Yes, there’s definitely a huge upside to being a grownup, and being able to do what you want (and eat cheese just before bed and as many cookies as you want) is definitely a large part of that!

SilverFox, ugh, that sounds horrible! I only feel that weight for a few days at a time, usually, so yay! Not a grownup!

• SB says:

For the longest time I’ve been trying to convince my boyfriend that we should have a beer/cheese fridge in place of a bedside table when we start living together… so far he has been unconvinced, but perhaps he’ll be swayed if I mention that Dr. Cath thinks it is perfectly acceptable to have cheese just before bed 🙂

Being a grown-up is AWESOME!!

Mr E Man will definitely have several bradawl and use them every day at work. Ask him.

12. Mike says:

Ummm, great minds, or fools?

Either way, there’s clearly something in the air. And even though I have a 15 month old nipper, I still suffer from adulthood impostor syndrome every so often.

• Cath@VWXYNot? says:

ah yes, I know it well…

I wonder how many truly self-confident proper grownups there actually are in the world? My guess is 23.

13. Steve Caplan says:

Uhh, don’t you mean a “Congratulatory e-mail from the Governor General?”

14. Bob O'H says:

I’m trying to become grown down.

15. chall says:

congrats! 🙂 Fun to stay in the same house I think?! I’m still to live somewhere [i.e. apt/house] longer than 2 years, which is my record at the moment….

As for grown up – I figured I am since last Saturday while celebrating Swedish Midsummer we closed down the celebrations after 9 pm, and almost no alcohol due to everyone longing for sleepy time 😉 old….

16. Eva says:

Gah! My longest job was my PhD, which was about a *million* years. (Six years and three months, to be precise). A MILLION!

• Eva says:

Oh, and longest time in same place by myself was seven years. Most of aforementioned PhD, plus a year after that. Fun fact: I got Penny within two weeks after moving into that apartment, so she also lived in the same house for seven years. My cat totally beat your house record!

17. Pingback: Bragging Rights Central: new archive post | VWXYNot?